Thursday 22 December 2016

Keep it Simple...


I have been thinking about simplifying my wardrobe.  I recently spent time with a friend who always looks so pulled together.  I love her long hair which she wears tucked into a bun at the nape of her neck– very chic.  She wears beautiful red lipstick and reminds me of a ballerina.  Her outfits always co-ordinate with seemingly little effort regardless of the time, day, or season.  She always looks great.  

When she casually mentioned all of her clothes are either black, white, or gray it made me realize this is why she always looks so pulled together.   She cannot go wrong with whatever she selects because everything is coordinated from a colour perspective.  I would have never guessed her strategy, but it has a stunning effect overall.

This revelation has lead me to thinking of my own clothing style.  It is all over the map.  My heart and soul are drawn to flowers, dresses, shawls, scarves…a bit of a Bohemian flair is what makes me feel pretty.  But, this style doesn’t really go down in the medical setting where I work.  For those (long) days I am in in professional garb (dress pants, blouse).  But, I love to jazz it up with a hand-knit scarf or shawl.  Those are the days I like best – sporting a pop of colour makes me happy.
After much contemplation I have decided that a basic wardrobe with a few simple pieces to act as the ‘canvas’ against which I can pair my hand-knits to is the way I want to go.  Perhaps a simple jersey-knit A-line dress (length to just below the knees) with a scoop neckline and ¾ length sleeves would be perfect. I can pair it with tights or leggings, add a colourful scarf or shawl, and swirl my way through the days. 

Now the quest begins to find the pattern for this dress and make one or two to try out my new idea.  My colour and panache will come from the hand-knits I love to make.  Plus, this little plan encourages me to continue to knit all the lovely things designed by some pretty awesome knitters.  It is a perfectly simple solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment