Saturday 17 December 2016

A Sheep by Any Other Name...


Part of the fascination with learning to spin has also been learning about the many varieties of wool and the sheep that produce them.  If I were to look upon a flock of sheep, I could not tell you their name other than they are sheep. And for this curious word-lover that will never do.
With a collection of names like Coopworth, Romeldale, Karakul, Cheviot, Navajo, Ryeland, Moorit, Rambouillet, Targhee, Svardsio, Corridale, Jacob, Merino, Blue-Faced Leicester, and Long Wool Leicester it will never to do to move through life simply calling them “sheep”! And this list, by the way, is only a small number of the more than 250 breeds known.
Aside from learning their physical characteristics and the region from which they come, I am also learning their wool is different.  Each spins up in a unique way, suitable for some particular purpose.  Some wools are coarse and rough, perfect for carpets or outerwear such as tweed for coats.  Others are downy soft and can be spun into ethereal clouds of yarn, perfect for knitting up a singlet to be worn by a newborn baby.
It continues to be an amazing journey, this Tour of Wool!  I am challenged at every turn and feel as if I am connecting to others who have walked the same path in this and past centuries.  Through the magic of the internet, I can order some Karakul from the sheep who live in the rugged mountains of Iran or Corriedale from green pastures in New Zealand. I can order prepared wool from indie dyers in colours so beautiful they would make Mother Nature jealous.   
And as I learn to spin, the yarn that comes from my own hands will have a distinct characteristic that only I can offer.  It will carry through into the garments I knit for those I love.  And in the end, they will simply think how nice it is to have something warm to wear.  



(The sheep at the beginning of this post is a Corriedale (Kor-e dal), and the one at the end of the post is a Karakul).

No comments:

Post a Comment