Sunday 4 December 2016

Wise Words from Dracula...


"We learn from failure, not success." Bram Stoker, Dracula
Truer words have never been spoken, particularly when it comes to learning a new skill.
After many years of knitting it seemed time to draw in a long-held dream of learning how to spin.  While waiting for the class (which was still three months away!) the time was spent reading, researching, and dreaming about spinning.
Finally, on Dec. 3, 2016, the day of the class arrived.  It dawned overcast and cool with a dramatic sky which held the promise of snow.  The drive from our home was easy and wound northward through the protected Oak Ridges Moraine.  I love where we live because it is still a bit rugged and wild.  The pond in the photo above is the view from where I parked my car just outside the wool shop.
The class was wonderful - 6 spinners in all.  We were all new to spinning (which became evident once the wheels started turning!), but there was a common thread running between us - we were also knitters and weavers.  There was even a mother-daughter team who own a local alpaca farm.
I discovered I have little talent and am pretty much a motor neuron disaster when it comes to treadling.  Keeping the wheel going in the intended direction, stopping for a few  moments, and then resuming in the same direction was (and still is) a challenge for me.
I have many miles of spinning ahead of me and so much to learn.  I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment